Fürstentum Liechtenstein Botschaft, Löwelstraße 87, Vienna, Austria (Principality of Liechtenstein Embassy)
Haus-Löwelstraße, Löwelstraße 6, Vienna, Austria c.1566
In 1795 it was called the Ogilvische (named after Karl Hermann Graf Oglivi) house. At that time Beethoven lived on the third floor.
Metastasiogasse (off Löwelstraße), Vienna, Austria
President’s Office, Löwelstraße, Vienna, Austria
Doorway, Police Inspectorate, Ballhausplatz, Vienna, Austria
Erzherzog Karl (Equestrian Statue), Heldenplatz, Vienna, Austria
The statue of Archduke Charles of Austria, modelled on a popular painting by Johann Peter Krafft, was inaugurated already in 1860. It was meant to glorify the Habsburg dynasty as great Austrian military leaders, though they just had suffered a crushing defeat at the bloody Battle of Solferino.
Archway, Courtyard of Hofburg Palace, Vienna, Austria
Sculptures, Hofburg Palace, Vienna, Austria
Doorway, Hofburg Palace, Vienna, Austria
Window, Hofburg Palace, Vienna, Austria
Hofburg Palace, Vienna, Austria
The Hofburg is the former imperial palace in the centre of Vienna, Austria. Built in the 13th century and expanded in the centuries since, the palace has been the seat of power of the Habsburg dynasty rulers, and today the official residence and workplace of the President of Austria. It was the principal imperial winter residence, as Schönbrunn Palace was the summer residence. Since 1279 the Hofburg area has been the documented seat of government.
Emperor Joseph II Statue, Josefplatz, Hofburg Palace, Vienna, Austria
Josefsplatz is centred on a full-sized equestrian statue and monument of Emperor Joseph II, erected by sculptor Franz Anton von Zauner between 1795 and 1807. Modelled on the statue of Marcus Aurelius on Capitoline Hill in Rome, the statue was commissioned by Emperor Francis II who, from the age of 16, had been raised under the supervision of his uncle, Joseph II. The depiction of Joseph II as a Roman conqueror, dressed in a toga and a laurel wreath, reflects the Habsburg belief that they were descendants of the ancient Roman emperors.
Entrance to Palais Pallavicini, Josefplatz, Vienna, Austria
Roofline of Palais Pallavicini, Josefplatz, Vienna, Austria
The palace was constructed in 1784 by Johann Ferdinand Hetzendorf von Hohenberg. The interior rooms are richly gilded and decorated with stucco, crystal chandeliers and mirrors. The elaborate inlaid parquet floors are made out of expensive woods. The Palais Pallavicini is still family-owned, and the historic rooms have been restored.
Habsburgergasse 12, Vienna, Austria
Kohlmarkt 16, Vienna, Austria
Kohlmarkt 4, Vienna, Austria
Josefsbrunnen (Joseph’s Fountain), Graben, Vienna, Austria
There are written records that in the middle of the 15th century, a fountain was built on the ditch, whose water was derived from the garden of the Hofburg in tubes and because of the four lion heads, which probably served as gargoyles, was referred to as “Löwenbrunn”. As of 1651, in the center of the fountain was a statue of Jupiter , designed by the sculptor Johann Jakob Pock. In the middle of the 16th century, another well was built east of the ditch. Among the wells also worked the court stonemason and sculptor Antonius Bregno (also called Premb ) and the court painter Stephan Simpeckh . After the erection of the plague column (1679), Emperor Leopold I wished that the two fountains, on either side of the column , be rebuilt, and that the fountains should be equipped with portraits of “St. Joseph” and “St. Leopold” . The reorganization took place 1680-1681. Around 1730-1740, the fountains were significantly changed. In 1804, the saints sculptures designed by the sculptor Joseph Frühwirth were replaced by lead figures by Johann Martin Fischer and the fountains were restored or redesigned.
Below the Josefsbrunnen, in 1904/05, Vienna’s oldest underground public utility , the public public utility on the Graben, was built. For this purpose, first the Josefsbrunnen had to be removed and later re-erected. In the course of a renovation of the public institution of need around 1987/88 also over it Josefsbrunnen was redeveloped.
Cartier, Kohlmarkt, Vienna, Austria
Chanel Building, Tuchlauben, Vienna, Austria
Storefront, Graben, Vienna, Austria
Café Griensteidl, Michaelerplatz, Vienna, Austria
Roman Archaeology, Michaelerplatz, (Historic Centre of Vienna), Vienna, Austria
The ruins on the Michaeler Platz in the city centre were uncovered between 1989 and 1991. Under the remains from the Renaissance-period, the foundation walls of the old Hofburg Theatre (built in 1776) and rented houses of the 18th century (demolished in 1889) there are structural remains of the canabae legionis, the settlement outside the Roman legionary fortress Vindobona. In the settlement lived the families (i.e. concubines and children) of the legionaries, there were also some inns, shops and brothels. The settlement was probably destroyed between 168 and 180 by Marcomans.
There has been a crossroads of two main streets – the “Amber street” from the Aquae region (today Baden south from Vienna) and the street along the limes – since the 1st century.
Michaelskirche (Catholic Church of St Michael), Michaelerplatz, Vienna, Austria
The church is a late Romanesque, early Gothic building dating from about 1220–1240. There is a document giving 1221 as the foundation date of the church, but this is most probably a 14th-century forgery. Over time, there have been many alterations, resulting in its present-day aspect, unchanged since 1792. The church is dedicated to the Archangel Michael and is one of the oldest churches in Vienna and also one of its few remaining Romanesque buildings. St. Michael’s used to be the parish church of the Imperial Court, when it was called Zum heiligen Michael.
Fiaker Horse Teams, Vienna, Austria
A fiaker is a form of hackney coach, a horse-drawn four-wheeled carriage for hire. In Vienna such cabs are called Fiaker.